Good Afternoon KSSU listeners and readers! I’m DJ Ace and this my Power Hour recap for April 5th.
Basically I’ve been wanting to do this all semester, and finally had the time to sit down to hash one of these outs. These recaps are a way to go a little more in-depth about the music being played today and a chance to talk a little more about whats going on weekly. So without further ado, lets get into what music was played today!
- Fanfare – FFVII OST – As of two shows ago, this has been the new starting song every show and variations of this theme will be present every show. It especially works well as background music as I do my intro. For some history about the title, this fanfare has been used in Final Fantasy as victory music after completing a battle since the original FF released over 20 years ago. It has definitely become a staple of the franchise needless to say.
- Easy Lover – Phil Collins – So our theme this show was more vocals and a little more classic sounds instead of our usual synth-wave approach. So firstly, this track also contains vocals by Phillip Bailey and the combination of both vocalists really brings the song along quite nicely. Oddly enough, the creation of the song came from a chance meeting between the two, and after a few jam sessions they decided to recorded the song in order to not forget it.
- Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic – The Police – Alright, so first things first, I have a huge love for The Police. Its a very influential group for me and one of the big artists I remember listening to as a kid. That being said, its hard to lock onto certain songs that really give you the listener a song that captures the groups sound, but I think this track does a great job of doing it. The Police typically create a very “ska” sound with their music, with fast tempos and strong beats. This song is no exception and I imagine by the middle of the song you are tapping your feet along with the beat.
- Off The Wall – Michael Jackson – Phew, another huge artist! Is my show becoming too mainstream for listeners? MJ was an artist I had the privilege of growing up to, when he was at his prime he was simply untouchable. I’m sure most agree that there will simply not be another artist who will have as big of an impact on the industry. Off The Wall is the self entitled track from one of his early albums, containing very disco like sounds. A very simple beat accompanies his already signature vocals, along with a smooth chorus. Like most of his tracks, this is very much a feel good track. As MJ states, “just enjoy yourself”.
- Maneater – Hall & Oates – Obviously you can’t have a 80’s playlist without some Hall & Oates. These guys wrote some of the most signature songs from the 80’s and you’ve probably heard them before and never even realized it. To keep the upbeat pace of the first half of the show, I went with Maneater. It keeps a very upbeat tempo, accompanied by a prominent bass line.
Well thats it for Part 1 of the Power Hour Recap. Tomorrow look forward to reading the second half!
Ace is a Dj with KSSU